*Yes, I know it’s Tuesday but I forgot to post this yesterday.
Happy New Year and I wish you all great things in 2017!
Reading…On the last day of 2016 I downloaded an ecopy of Goodnight, Beautiful Women by Anna Noyes. The interconnected collection of short stories about women and girls was the perfect way to spend the day. I was able to devour a few, put the collection down and return to it all day. Thanks Rory for the rec!
My book group chose Shelter by Jung Yun for January and I’m only one chapter in. And what a first chapter! Also, I needed a new audio book for my commute, so I downloaded Homegoing from the library. I’m so excited to start off 2017 with some books that my bookish friends have raved about. Late to the party but that’s me in a nutshell.
Watching…speaking of late to the party, I binged watched Stranger Things over the holiday break and LOVED it! I’m a product of the 80s and seeing this Netflix series play homage to 70s and 80s movies like E.T., Close Encounters, The Shining, Poltergeist, Stand By Me, The Goonies, etc. was everything. The style, the music, the weird characters and Winona Ryder – a breath of fresh air in TVland. Can’t wait for season 2. I’m obsessed.
I also went and saw some movies with the family. Rogue One was great but unfortunately I saw it the day after Carrie Fisher died, which brought on some tears at the end. Sing was also an unexpected delight.
Listening to…It’s been a long time since a movie had music that I wanted to own instantly but Jennifer Hudson’s Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (orig. The Beatles) gave me chills. The minute I left the theater I downloaded the single. Tori Kelly’s Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing (orig. Stevie Wonder) and Hallelujah (orig. Leonard Cohen) were also amazing.
Thinking…about a lot but for starters…the blog.
- I don’t have any resolutions or goals in mind. I’m going to keep things pretty much the same but shorten the monthly “Get Your TBR List Ready” quite a bit. I will try and keep the list down to 5 or less.
- Social Media became nonexistent during the last few months of 2016 and will most likely stay the same. I’m having real trouble connecting on Facebook and Twitter on a personal level. Even as a blogger. I’ll probably still link up posts but that’s about it. I still like Instagram from time to time, though and share posts on Pinterest.
- I want to try and read some of the books from TOB when the list gets shorter. Right now there are 120 and I’ve only read 9. I’ve never done that before.
- I downloaded a copy of Book Riot’s Read Harder 2017 to use when I feel stuck in a book rut or just broaden my reading horizons.
- Goodreads is a digital place where I like to keep track of the books I read and want to read. I have paper journal also, but the ease of bringing up the app whenever I want is a book nerd plus. I’m also a visual person and seeing all the pretty covers, read-alikes and the author’s entire catalogue makes me giddy. In December 2016, I stopped star-rating books. I’ve given lip service about it (mostly to myself) because I have trouble rating books without 1/2 stars and sometimes I truly don’t know what to rate a book unless I know for sure it’s a 5. Anything less than a 3, I usually DNF. Anyway, it wasn’t as difficult and pushed me to write a blurb instead of just give it some stars and move along to something else. I also love reading what my friends are reading and their reviews since many do not have book blogs.
So that’s about it friends. Hope you are all doing well!